Sunday 25 January 2009

Spicy Salsa

I thought I would chuck this in to accompany either of the two versions of Chili con Carne to be found on this blog. This was pretty much the first foody thing I ever made up myself and its success, albeit at a university student party, made me wonder if maybe I might be an ok cook. How's that for an invitation to every put-down under the sun?! Anyway I still make it from time to time at the behest of my beloved wife. I make no apology for the vaguery of measurements. You should really taste and adjust the salsa so that it suits you: my quantities change according to the ripeness of the tomatoes, the lime, my mood, what colour my underpants are...well maybe not the latter...Anyway, it's really easy to do, but don't leave any leftovers for more than a few days in the fridge as it goes off quickly. No idea why considering the lime juice and chilli it contains...

Ingredients

Fresh, very ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
Jalapeno peppers
Juice of 1 lime
Red onion diced
Tomato puree
Red sweet ( bell) pepper
Fresh chillies finely chopped and/or chilli powder
Lea and Perrins (Worcestershire Sauce)
Seasoning
Sweet Paprika

Method

Bung all of the ingredients into a glass/pyrex bowl and mix well. Taste it and add more of various things listed above until you get the flavour you like. Chill it in the fridge for a while, covered, before serving.

Tips

If you can be bothered, you can blast the tomatoes and peppers under a really hot grill until the skin blisters then leave them covered to soften in the resulting condensation. Then peel off the skins. I have also come across recipes that suggest de-seeding the tomatoes too, but I never bother!

1 comment:

Coleman said...

And where's olive oil??? :P